It's a Jungle Out There

For a couple of years now I've been working on some cheap home computing stuff that might scratch a couple of itches with one stone1:

• a set-top media center that doesn't cost a fortune, but does have a decent web browser
  • a way of communicating with family and friends that doesn't involve getting all those dodgy adverts from Facebook2
  • a worm-hole generator piped into 1980 and localised on my bald patch

I'm still waiting for the worm-hole thing, but the other stuff is getting very do-able, and the Raspberry Pi is definitely part of the picture. To test out various options I picked up a bunch of different bits of hardware that do jobs similar to the Pi in one way or other... And Fred is busy putting them through their paces for this review article. He's taken some pics:

APC 8750

APC 8750

Beagle Bone Black

Beagle Bone Black

CubieBoard

Cubieboard

DreamPlug

DreamPlug

MiniPC

MK802 Mini PC

Pi Model A

Pi Model A

Pi Model B rev2

Pi Model B

Tonido Plug

TonidoPlug

We'll keep you posted as he digs the dirt on this bunch... But if he figures out the worm-hole generator thing I'm off to see all the Clash gigs again before anything else.

Read the main article.

Footnotes

1. Mixed metaphors? Love 'em!
  2. "Meet your dream partner at our new site, exclusively for the balding and podgy!" A friend of mine claims that the only reason I get dodgy adverts is because I visit dodgy sites with my cookies turned on, but I'm sure there's no truth in that at all. And I'll sue.

comments powered by Disqus